Coachair tendered and won the contract to service and overhaul the entire Queensland Rail (QR) EMU HVAC fleet in 2014 and responded rapidly once the tender was awarded. By December, after being awarded the tender in November, Coachair had both signed off on the contractual requirements and accepted the first units for repair.
The Coachair solution:
The existing facility in Richlands was ill-suited to meet the project’s needs, so a new facility was researched, selected and operational in less than three months. To ensure project delivery within deadline, the following was completed:
- Design the facility layout for best production flow and turn around
- Set up of electrical supply and environmental management
- Sourcing long lead times from overseas and local suppliers
- Management of the “On condition” parts requirements
- Recruitment and training of staff
- Developed work instructions and testing regimes
- Set up local project and facility management team and administration
- Safety, quality and environment teams established with systems and process
Since 2014 when Queensland Rail outsourced this fleet’s repairs and maintenance, Coachair has successfully completed over 400 jobs (including major services).
In 2016, Coachair successfully tendered to provide a significant re-engineered overhaul of the Queensland Rail IMU HVACs.
Responding rapidly again following the tender award, within one month, Coachair had expeditiously signed off on the contractual requirements and accepted the first unit for overhaul. All units were completed within Queensland Rail’s project time frames, within the tendered costing.