Unable to obtain the required delivery schedule from the OEM and negatively impacted by the time required to establish contractual requirements, Downer was seeking a Queensland Rail approved alternative supplier.
As a supplier with a strong background in the Australian rail industry currently working with Queensland Rail (QR), Coachair was successful and awarded the tender to supply parts to Downer to overhaul the IMU160 HVAC fleet.
The Coachair solution:
Coachair was awarded the tender in July and by August had both signed off on the contractual requirements and commenced delivery of parts. Establishing the supply of these parts required:
- Set up and validation of each part supplied to meet Queensland Rail’s exacting requirements.
- Sourcing long lead times from both overseas and local suppliers. This included airfreight and applying pressure to all those in the supply chain to provide quality products within lead time dates.
- Management of the “on condition” parts requirements
The service Coachair offered and supplied to Downer went beyond the basic supply of parts. As a true ‘whole of life’ support partner, for no additional cost Coachair also assisted with:
- The design of testing leads
- Selection of specialised equipment required for the overhaul
- Selection and validation of obsolete parts
- Ongoing technical support through the period of the supply contract
Coachair successfully commenced this contract within the time required by fast-tracking all the essential parts and long lead-time items.
We worked together with Downer to efficiently supply OE parts to specification in full and on time to meet Queensland Rail’s delivery needs.